In keeping with tradition, we’re sharing some of our favorite resources and ideas for your family advent celebrations and devotions. In the list below, we hope you’ll find at least one helpful practice, song, book, or prayer that will support and encourage you as you prepare for Christmas.
For Your Calendar
- Advent Workshop and Hanging of the Greens. Kick off the advent season with your church family on Wednesday, December 1. Don’t miss the Advent Workshop, Hanging of the Greens, Spaghetti Dinner, Tree Lighting, and Carol-Singing. All ages welcome. Click HERE for details.
- Christmas Pageant/Angel Choir (K - 5th grade) We can’t think of a better way to prepare for Christmas than to learn new songs, play a role the Christmas story, or serve our children. Click HERE to register your child or HERE to get involved with this wonderful, Christmas Eve tradition.
- Student Ministry Christmas Party (6th-12th grade: Sunday, December 12 at 6:30. Bring a white elephant gift (wrapped) and wear your most festive Christmas outfit. Dinner served.
- Christmas Concert: Dec 17. Watch for more details coming soon!
- Christmas Eve Worship:
- 4:30 Service. Christmas Pageant with Angel Choir. Nursery available.
- 7:00 & 9:00 Candlelight Services. No nursery care at these later services.
- Christmas Break for Sunday school and Children’s Church: There will be no Sunday school or Children’s Church on December 26 and January 2. We’re grateful to give our faithful Sunday school and Children’s Church leaders this time of rest. The Nursery will still be available during worship on these dates. Be sure to thank our Nursery Team!
For Family Devotions
- Advent Coloring: Coloring is a great way to keep little hands busy and young minds engaged during family devotionals. Print these off and count down the weeks to Christmas together.
- Click HERE for a printable advent wreath coloring page
- Click HERE for a printable advent coloring booklet.
- Advent Adventures: A great family project (by Cher Curtis) Our beloved Cher Curtis (long-time Central member and former Director of Children’s Ministry) created this beautiful and engaging family activity many years ago, and it is still being used by many families. Use to provide visual and tactile learning activities for every day of December until Christmas or to create a permanent family advent banner. *NOTE: All Advent Workshop attendees will make and take this beautiful family devotional!
- The Way to the Manger This sweet book engages families with the biblical truth of Christmas through twenty-five Advent devotions that redirect families to their need for a Savior and the amazing gift of Jesus Christ.
- This is the Christmas Story: A Kids Read Truth Story and Scripture Book. presents the whole Christmas story--the story of God promising His people a forever King who would bring light into a dark world. From God’s promises to Adam, Abraham, David and Isaiah to the angel’s messages to Mary and Joseph, every page tells the story of God’s promises to send His Son Jesus.
- The First Songs of Christmas Reflecting her own love for the season, Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth offers meditations on the first two chapters of Luke’s gospel in The First Songs of Christmas. This 31-day Advent devotional shines new light on the ancient yet inspiring songs of Elizabeth, Mary, Zechariah, the angels, and Simeon.
- Christmas Playlist: Four Songs that bring you into the heart of Christmas: In this short, winsome book a teenage girl, a respected priest, a group of angels and an old man bring readers to the heart of Christmas, showing them the joy and peace that comes from meeting a baby who lay in the food trough and changed eternity.
- Names of Jesus Ornament Book: This unique board book contains six beautiful ornaments that each feature a different name of Jesus. Each ornament comes with an advent devotion and scriptures that tell the Christmas story, while explaining the deeper meaning of His names.
- Tracing Glory: The Christmas Story Through the Bible A 24- day Advent devotional that begins by looking back at the creation of the world in the book of Genesis and ends looking forward to the new creation in the book of Revelation, tracing the glory of Jesus Christ from start to finish.
- Preparing the Way for Jesus A simple, but well-crafted and free resource for counting down the days to Christmas as a gospel-centered family.
Advent Picture Books
Other Great Resources
- The Bible Project (Video) The Birth of Jesus, Luke 1-2 These engaging and creative videos are perfect for all ages.
- Why Do We Call it Christmas? – (Video) Save this for a fun and meaningful family movie night. Buck Denver and all his friends go on an amazing journey into the world's most popular holiday.
- The Greatest Gift (video devotionals) In these four short videos, draw deeper into Scripture and explore the magnificence of God's Word through the unfurling of the greatest love story ever told—God's ardent and relentless pursuit of us. Perfect for families with older kids.
- Seeds of Christmas These songs will take your family through the prophesies in Isaiah and Micah to the incredible accounts of Jesus's miraculous birth in Matthew and Luke. Great for scripture memorization!
- He Has Come to Reign - by Sherdonna Denholm These 5 beautiful songs were meant to turn our minds and hearts to the wonder of Advent.
Do you have other favorite advent resources? Share them with us!
Have a blessed advent season!
The Family Ministry Team